Hot Summer Styles On A Dime, Online
CBS The Early Show- Monday, May 18, 2009
Hot Summer Styles On A Dime, Online
Life & Style Weekly's Dawn Yanek Showcases Trendy Outfits That Won't Break The Bank
(CBS) In these hard time, everyone could use a bargain, and 25 percent off at a department store sale isn't going to stretch your dollar to its max.
Smart "bargainistas" know how to save big while keeping up with the trends of the season and getting high-end, high-quality designer clothes.
In The Early Show Saturday Ediiton's "Bargainista" segment, Dawn Yanek, editor at large of Life & Style Weekly magazine, spotlighted some summer looks she put together for rock-bottom prices -- using only online retailers.
She had the inside scoop on a a variety of Web sites that feature designer clothes at a discount, and even one that actually rents the latest fashions!
Yanke stressed that people can save big by shopping online. Internet shopping has grown by leaps and bounds to accommodate the needs of bargain-savvy and recession-wary shoppers no longer content with the standard ten-to-twenlty-five percent discounts offfered by large retailers.
To help viewers see that they can find fashion-forward outfits at very low prices online, Dawn used models, and each sported a different look achieved with clothes from Web sites from four categories: renting, consignment, giveaways, and deep discounting. The best online deals can save you 75-to-90 percent, and some even give you designer items for free!
Shopping Strategy #1: Borrow It
Trend: Neon and Rocker Chic
• Neon is an '80s trend that's making a shocking comeback this season...but it won't be here for long, and it's never a smart idea to invest money in too-trendy items. But at 90 percent off, you can try out this trend guilt-free -- and yes, I did just say 90 percent off. It's like borrowing something out of your best-dressed friend's closet-a particularly great shopping technique if you're not sure you like a specific trend. If you don't like it, try it once and send it back!
• The black patent-leather jacket retails for $498, and the pink neon skirt retails for $245, for a grand total of $743. But if you borrow both these items for a week at Wear Today, Gone Tomorrow, it'll only cost you $74. Wear them together for a look that says "fashionista's night out" and then wear them separately other days that week to even get more bang for your buck. You can also rent the pieces for a month for a little more -- 70 percent off the original price.
• This site was founded by a former Lucky Magazine editor. No monthly fees; just sign up via e-mail for full access to the site. There's also the option to buy the clothes at a discount. We also particularly love the site because they have a Standard Sizing Chart; they've remeasured everything, so if you're a size 6 by their standards, you'll be a size 6 in everything on the site.
• This is a very trendy, over-the-top look, and it works because we haven't gone for a head-to-toe '80s neon look. We've grounded the bright skirt with basics -- a white tank and neutral-colored shoes -- as well as with an edgier, heavier rocker-chic jacket. We've combined two big trends into one very well put-together outfit.
• Total retail value (of entire look): $743. With these discounts: $74.30 (90 percent off)
Marley skirt, $245
WearTodayGoneTomorrow.com rental fee: $24.50
Total retail value: $743
WearTodayGoneTomorrow.com discount: $74.30 (90 percent off)
Shopping Strategy #2: Shop at consignment shops or resale boutiques
• Special-occasion dresses are just for that -- special occasions -- which means that you often buy them for something specific and wear them once or twice. At higher-end consignment shops, you can find gently worn or even brand-new designer pieces at huge discounts.
• Here, our model is wearing an asymmetrical jewel-toned gown. Gorgeous and luxe and perfect for a black-tie event. With its asymmetrical neckline, it's specific to the 2008-2009 season, so it's not necessarily going to be an integral staple of your wardrobe for years to come.
• But how can you say no to a dress that's 90 percent off and rings in at only $35??? It's from Christabelle's Closet, an online consignment shop that features pieces from designers including Diane von Furstenburg, Chanel and Manolo Blahnik. There's even a brand-new $10 and Under Deals section! The site also features items for children and men. All sales are final.
• We've paired this Grecian-style, jewel-toned dress with sparkly Lia Sofia accessories, also from Christabelle's Closet, and these amazing Sergio Rossi stilettos…which are also only $35!
• With consignment shops making their way to the web, they are more consumer-friendly then ever. Instead of looking through racks and racks of clothing to find your size, websites allow you to sort by your size, product type and easily navigate through merchandise. Another site we love is Jillsconsignment.com which started as a store in Florida and branched out to a successful online consignment boutique in recent years.
• Total retail value: over $1,000. With these discounts: under $100!! -- OVER 90 percent off!
Retail: Roni blue Grecian dress, $345
ChristabellesCloset.com: $35 (90 percent off)
Sergio Rossi black stiletto heels: $440.00
ChristabellesCloset.com: $35 (93 percent off)
Calvin Klein black belt (vintage) $100
Christabellescloset.com: $8 (92 percent off)
Lia Sophia bracelet $168 & ring $125
ChistabellesCloset.com: bracelet $12 & ring $8 (over 90 percent off)
Total Retail: $1178
Total after discount: $98 (more than 90 percent off)
Shopping Strategy #3: Win-It sites
• Light, airy floral dresses are always in vogue in the spring, and this season, one trendy way to wear florals is in an abstract way. This fuchsia, teal and black dress, from trendy L.A. store and site ShopIntuition.com, was originally $272 -- and now it can be yours to win!! So can the accessories -- a sparkly silver clutch, strappy sandals, oversized cocktail rings and bangles - all at the new style win-it website Madberries.com. This site is unique in that they have a team of stylists and editors that handpick the latest styles and trendiest items in fashion, beauty, home and living for readers to win - for free! New items are posted everyday with a chance to win giveaways every day, 7 days a week. Entering to win is so simple, no member registration and no information other then your name, email address and date of birth is asked in advance! After all, discounts are great, but free stuff is even better -- especially when it's expensive, designer items that you might have thought was unattainable, especially in this economy. All items on our model today are available to win at the site now.
• Floral dresses are always trendy in the spring and summer, so you can wear this from season to season.
• Style tips: When choosing a dress with an abstract print, it's a good idea to anchor it with a nipped waist or exposed shoulders. It adds drama and ensures that the print won't overwhelm your figure. Also, abstracts work on most bodies, but petites should choose a high hemline or form-fitting cut.
• Total retail value: $847.95. With these discounts: Free at Madberries.com!
Storee dress, $272, Shopintuition.com
Sondra Roberts ruched silver clutch, $250, sondraroberts.com: Giveaway
Earrings -- Anthropologie Moonlight earrings, $32, anthropologie.com
Cuff -- mark Cuff Couture Bracelet (mark is a division of Avon), $14, shop.avon.com
Cuff -- Giles&Brother by Philip Crangi cuff, $125, www.gilesandbrother.com
ring - cocktail ring, $55, 212-947-7826.
Retail value: $847.95
Madberries.com offer: Free! All items available now as giveaways
(100 percent off)
Shopping Strategy #4: Discount sites
• Finding great online discounts isn't just about shopping for the trends. You can also get great basics online. The look we've styled here definitely has a safari feel, which is very in this season, but the white button-down, the flattering jeans and the tan jacket are all great separates that can be mixed-and-matched with other pieces in your wardrobe for a variety of uses and looks.
• These jeans are from ShopItToMe.com, and they're only $16, on sale for over $75 percent off! We love this site because it's like a personal shopper for online clothing sales; it tracks more than 600 women's brands that you can choose from. Fill out a profile, and input the designers you're interested in and your sizes-and voila! You'll get e-mail alerts when the clothing, shoes and accessories you love-in your size!-go on sale all over the Internet. (I'll most likely be wearing a DVF dress that I bought through them.)
• As for the pieces with more of a safari feel, we've chosen a Boss jacket that was originally $395 and is now $39.99 … 90 percent off, as well as these great canvas-topped, wooden-heeled sandals by Naughty Monkey that are only $14.95! Both items are from the Web site 6pm.com, the sister site of Zappos.com. They off weekly specials with incredible savings - right now New Balance, all styles are 70 percent off, Ben Sherman shoes, select styles are just $39.95, etc. New deals are listed every day at up to 75 percent off, and customers can sign up for the Deal of the Day newsletter, where they receive exclusive offers on items before they hit the site for everyone else to see.
• Total retail price: $618.50. With these discounts: $90.93 (approx. 86 percent off)
Original price: Blue London Jean Sailor jean, $69.50, VictoriaSecret.com
Shop it to me discount price: $16.99 (76 percent off)
Original price: Naughty Monkey $59
6pm.com discount price: $14.95, 6pm.com (75 percent off)
Total retail price: $618.50
Total after discount: $90.93 (86 percent off)